Thursday, February 14, 2013

A brighter day

My husband says I should start a blog about how to be an optimist and different optimistic ways of looking at things.

I said I already have a blog. It's true this blog is more about communication, but your perspective, optimist or pessimist, helps frame how you communicate.

Knowing this gives you so much power and so many more options in how you direct conversation.

If you are looking to turn a tense conversation around, you can use empathy to create a bonding conversation rather than a confrontational conversation. You do this by saying 'if I understand what you are saying you ....(then repeat back to them what they said). This lets the other person know they have been heard and they will be more receptive to listen.

Remember, communication is about connecting as Human beings. It's more important to build bridges of understanding than to win the argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment